Sunday, November 22, 2009

Tailgate Favorites

Food, to me, makes sports tolerable. Even if the game turns out to be a total bust, a solid lineup of appetizers makes can make or break the social experience. After all, you can only be down in the dumps about your team's losing streak for so long when you have a table stocked full of good grub.

When hosting a sports viewing party, providing a variety of comfort food is essential. But to be honest, I get so tired of the same old "seven-layer cheese, black beans, cheese, sour cream, cheese, salsa, topped with shredded cheddar cheese" dip that seems to be everyone's fallback tailgate favorite and cancels out an entire week's worth of exercise. Not only is it lacking nutritionally (that may be the understatement of the year), but it can only be eaten with tortilla chips that are equally as bad.


When I'm hosting, I like to create dishes that are tasty yet filling and won't induce heart attacks. (Let's leave that to Jay Cutler ... zing!)

Here are a couple of my favorites:

I'll start with the worst nutritional culprit on my list. These little mini wieners aren't the most healthful dish of the bunch but are definitely among the most tasty. Wrapping them with paper-thin phyllo dough cuts calories and adds a distinct crunch that dinner roll dough just can't match. Add ketchup, if desired, and make these your 'indulgence' option. (*Note: I don't consume any meat other than fish so I no longer eat these, but trust me, every time I smell them I question my decision!)

Cutting very thin slices of french bread can minimize the amount of simple carbohydrates in this bruschetta, making it a relatively smart choice for those who mind their figures. Since the topping consists only of tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, basil and a drizzle of olive oil (omega 3s!), loading the garnish atop a crispy piece of crostini means you can eliminate your usual post-game feelings of regret (well, unless you've made the wrong fantasy choice, in which case I can't help you there.)

Stuff these babies full of ricotta and/or pesto sauce and you have an appetizer that looks high-fallutin' but is simple enough to make while absentmindedly watching the pre-game show. Another option is to stuff the mushroom caps with leftover bruschetta mixture for an all-vegetarian dish. Even if you decide to go with the cheese, the portion size is right.

And yes, avocados often gets a bad rep because they are so calorically dense, but as long as you don't eat guacamole with half a bag of tortilla chips it's fine in moderation. Adding lots of tomatoes, peppers and/or onions to the dip makes it more filling without requiring so many avocados, and by dipping carrots, celery or other vegetables in lieu of chips you have yourself a tailgate favorite that's pretty darn healthy.

Now, all my hundreds of followers...

::crickets::

... I didn't include the step-by-step recipes because I'm sure you all know how to use Google. But do enjoy and let me know if you decide to steer away from the fatty dip of death and give these a whirl!

No comments:

Post a Comment