Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Trash Talking in 140 Characters or Less

You know during a heated moment when one football helmet is crunched up against another, and you can see the players lips moving but despite the HD that your husband pays $20 extra a month for, you can't possibly make out what smack they might be talking to one another?

I have always wondered what types of words were exchanged between the players during these high-pressure games. They're all so *serious* about it! And my gossip-hungry ears are eager to hear the trash talking.

Turns out I can, as long as it's 140 characters or less. Who knew football players were on Twitter!? And that they talk about things from the mundane to the borderline inappropriate.

There's @Devin Hester., who tweeted how he was going to spend his bye weekend before the Bears game against the Falcons last Sunday. His response?

"I spent a lot of time with my family and my fiance. It is nice having a little extra time with everyone. Nice and relaxing."

Just imagine "relaxing" with the guy who is one of the most deft and agile wide receivers in the league and has made some of the best kickoff returns I've ever seen! He seems like such a normal guy. Which made me wonder: Does he watch football in his spare time? (I'm assuming yes, but you never know.) What's his favorite meal to kick back and watch the game with? (According to Sporting News, he is a fast-food junkie and lover of Mexican, chili and and Red Bull ... sounds like this guy could use a visit to the nutritionist!) He also has tweeted that he and his fiance are expecting a baby boy some time later this year. I have to say, I cannot imagine being that woman and having a little maniac thrash around in my belly all day.

Let's move along to the Bengals' @Chad Ochocinco, who recently used his Twitter as an opportunity to talk smack before and after the Bears's match this Sunday against his team. He told @Jay Cutler, the Bears' new quarterback:


He seems to be the biggest smack slinger of the bunch, and has mentioned he thinks "Chicago has the biggest platform for trash talking." Apparently this is how he puts pressure on himself to win, and it's right there on Twitter now for all the world to see!

I feel like all these tweets would be far more interesting if I knew who all these players were. I know Jay Cutler and obviously Devin Hester, but I'm going to start taking note of the players to check out their Twitters before and after the game. I think that would help me be more interested if, for example, a player went out of his way to smash into another guy who had sent him a nasty tweet a couple hours before.

Football is always a little bit more tolerable when you can mute the TV and put words in the players mouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment